Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Writing Ideas Journal

Today’s tip is for all of those aspiring writer’s out there. I constantly hear writers saying “I don’t have anything to write about.” Well I’m here to tell you, that I NEVER have that problem. Aren’t I lucky? Divinely inspired? Nope, I have a system to make sure I never run out of original ideas: an Idea Journal.

My idea journal is really helpful and simple to create. While I don’t keep it with me everywhere I go, it is in a prominent and convenient place on my desk. Whenever I have an idea, I take an entire page in my journal and write the idea down. Many times it just a cool character or a cool line from one of my friends. When I write the interesting tidbit down, I usually have some inkling of how it may further develop in to a story.

My journal is unlined. Remember this is just a brainstorming phase right now, no need for lines and boxes to keep you down. Once story idea for each page I find works best. I also like to use brightly colored fine pointed sharpies. These usually help me get more excited about the idea. Sometimes there is an interesting article in the news or online and I cut or print them out and save them to glue or tape in my journal.

Anytime I don’t have a particular project in mind, I go back to my journal and pick out an idea I was really interested in. I would have forgotten the idea if I hadn’t written it down so I appreciate having my writing journal.

No comments: