Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Recycled Coffee Tin Craft Project

Today’s project is pretty simple, but the outcome is very useful and I find it very attractive. I buy all of my coffee at Trader Joes, and in the end, I always end up with these large coffee containers. While, I get the large containers, there are smaller ones too I might experiment with.

The containers are sturdy, so I decided to dress them up a little bit and reuse them. I bought some paper from this gourmet type paper store around the corner from me called Hollander’s. I picked out a couple of beautiful sheets of paper months ago, and I was still looking for an excuse to use them. All I did was cover the coffee can with a sheet of this paper, making sure that the trees are growing in the correct direction. I used a basic Elmer’s-type glue. When doing this, the less glue the better, around the tip and bottom edges and the slowly gluing a little strip as you go around. Otherwise, the paper can get a little wrinkly. A bone flattener tool that is used in bookbinding could be helpful here to flatten out the glue bubbles.

Here are some pictures of my new storage containers. They store all of my nail polish and manicure supplies. I hope you enjoy this great recycling and organizing project.

3 comments:

KarenKT said...

Did you know your project and photo are used here, on this site? http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/coffee_tin_organizers

cait said...

This is a really good idea ... doing it now .... =D

Seluj1980 said...

Thanks for the comments! I do know that this project is on Cut Out and Keep because I put it up there. I love that site it's super fun! Making these are fun too, and great to store all sorts of neat junk (I mean special treasures).